Wednesday, October 14, 2009

WEDNESDAY - NATIONAL BANDANA DAY:14 OCTOBER 2009

The Sunflower Fund was formed in 1999 and was inspired by Chris Corlett and Daren Serebro's heroic struggle against leukaemia. It was formed by parents whose children had contracted leukaemia, and in some cases had lost their battle against it. Their aim was to secure financial support in order to increase the number of bone marrow stem cell donors in South Africa.

Chris painted the original "Sunflowers of Hope" painting while in isolation and copies of this now hang in all the transplant units in South Africa, as well as one in New Zealand and Australia. Chris saw donors as 'seeds of hope' for patients suffering as he was - hence the name "Sunflowers of Hope".

"Sunflowers of Hope"was painted by Chris Corlett before his death. Others, in their days of darkness, have done the same. Let the sunflower be a tribute to all those that have not survived and a symbol of hope to all patients in the future. (Information courtesy of the Sunflower fund website)

Please make a point of purchasing a bandana. At a cost of R20- you will be bringing hope to many leukaemia patients. I have been buying bandanas ever since the inception and have a really cool collection.

My pups and I proudly wear the bandanas knowing that my small donation has made a huge difference.

There are loads of different uses for all you creative peeps out there;
  • pups look ultra-chic wearing a bandana
  • table mats
  • cushion covers
  • hair bands
  • scarves, etc

Let's keep the 'bandana fever' growing ..................

My 2009 bandana is dedicated to Lesley - an awesome survivor!

Wednesday in the kitchen

Mesir W'et - Spicy Ethiopian Lentil Stew

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried red lentils ( I guess any lentils will do)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 2 cups veggie broth or water
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon berbere OR an additional tablespoon of paprika or cayenne pepper
  • sea salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • oil for frying

Directions;

  • soak lentils for at least an hour in water
  • drain, rinse and set aside
  • sauté onions and garlic in oil until golden
  • add broth or water
  • add spices and tomato paste
  • when gently boiling add lentils
  • turn down heat and simmer until lentils are tender and it's a thick stew- adding more liquid if needed

Serve with rice, pita bread or rotis (wraps work well too)

Today I am grateful for;

  • All the crazy folk in Plett
  • My short holiday
  • all the work that is waiting for me
  • the way my pups greeted me when I arrived home yesterday
  • my turquoise hat - a special gift
  • waking up early this morning in my own home

Read this often and live it TRULY!

Life is short,

break the rules,

forgive quickly,

kiss passionately,

love truly,

laugh constantly,

never stop smiling.

No matter how strange life is,

life is not always the party we expect it to be.

But as long as we are here

we should smile and be grateful.

- Anonymous

Healing with the Fairies Oracle Card Reading (Doreen Virtue Ph.D)

Inner Power

Card meaning : You are now allowing yourself to experience and express your true power. The fairies ask you to affirm, "it is safe for me to be powerful".

Affirmation : It is safe for me to be powerful! I have all the power of the Universe flowing through me and supporting me.

Have a sparkling Wednesday.

Peace 'n whirlpools of luv

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment