Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ZEN WEDNESDAY

Rocks stacked on top of each othersrc="

Zen is not some kind of excitement, but concentration on our everyday routine - Shunryu Suzuki

  • do one thing at a time
  • do it slowly and deliberately
  • do it completely
  • do less
  • put space between things
  • develop rituals
  • designate time for certain things
  • devote time to sitting
  • smile and serve others
  • make cleaning and cooking become meditation
  • thing about what is necessary
  • live simply

Wednesday in the kitchen in India

Mostly the corner of one room serves as a kitchen area. Food is cooked on a sunken stove or a portable clay stove. Wood or dried cow dung is used as fuel. There are only a few supplies; some pots 'n pans, utensils and a flat pan for cooking chapattis. Foodstuffs are stored in baskets or brass pots. Often the legs of large bins are set into little bowls of water so that insects cannot climb up the legs and get into the food supply.

The floor is kept very clean because cooks traditionally prepare meals while crouching or sitting on the floor. Instead of a knife, a woman uses a bonthi,which is a sharp blade mounted on the floor. The floor is washed thoroughly every night. The water runs down a drain in the middle of the room. A traditional Indian family eats seated on the floor in a big circle. It is considered a courtesy to allow the men to eat first.

Wednesday in my kitchen in Cape Town

Last night's dinner - Sweet Potato and Cabbage Hash

  • sweet potatoes, cubed
  • cabbage, chopped
  • red onions, coarsely chopped
  • olive oil
  • Himalayan rock salt and black pepper

What to do;

  • steam sweet potatoes until almost done
  • heat olive oil and fry onions
  • add cabbage and stir fry
  • add sweet potato and mix/stir until the mixture appears "hashy"
  • add salt 'n pepper

In addition to this we had loads of fried tomatoes garnished with organic Basil leaves from the garden and a raw broccoli, carrot 'n red onion salad in a lemony/olive oily dressing - a powerful healthylicious dinner.

A fave poem

I will not die an unlived life,

I will not live in fear,

of falling or catching fire.

I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me,

to make me less afraid, more accessible,

to loosen my heart

until it becomes a wing,

a torch, a promise.

I choose to risk my significance;

to live so that which came to me as seed

goes to the next as blossom

and that which came to me as blossom,

goes to fruit. - Dawna Markova

Today I am grateful for;

  • my Vitamix blender - best smoothies ever
  • my peaceful life
  • Stubat - fun ancient Dornbirn reads
  • pink 'n green highlighters - turn my diary into a creative work of art

Quote

Smile, breath and go slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Wisdom Card Reading (Louise L Hay)

I am taking the next step for my healing.

The moment I say positive affirmations, I step out of the victim role.

I am no longer helpless.

I acknowledge my own power.

Remember : You have the power to make the angels swoon- Sera Beak

Learn it, luv it, live it - connect to your soul and bell-laugh endlessly ......

Peace 'n whirlpools of luv

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment